Bruno and I have been engaged for over a year now and we’re getting married in a little over three months. You would think we had our engagement photos done a long time ago but I’m here to tell you we just did them a few weeks ago. It honestly took so long because I was so picky with the photographer, what to wear, props that I wanted to include and the location. I finally figured it all out but it almost seemed a little too late, I mean we’re getting married in three months! So I’m going to share with you guys what I did for my engagement shoot in hopes that it will help you plan and do yours.
Figure out what style/mood you want and search for a photographer that currently shoots that look. It will not only make you happy in the end but it will make post editing much easier.
– I wanted the photos to look moody and romantic and we found that style with our amazing photographer Savannah. (For additional information on Savannah please check out the bottom on this post)
Make sure your photographer has shot couples before. This really helped us because she knew how to place us and even talked us through some couple posing tricks.
– Savannah shoots couples all the time and I loved so many of her couple shots on her Instagram. So I immediately knew she was the one.
Really make sure both looks for you and your fiancé fit your personality. There is nothing worse than feeling awkward and weird in your outfit. If you feel uncomfortable that will portray in the photos.
– I don’t always dress up but I wanted to portray the fun and glam side of my personality so I wore two amazing Hayley Paige pieces. Bruno wore pants and a button up shirt and of course had to wear his sneakers!
Make sure the location fits the vibe of the photos you want to take. If you’re looking for something really fun and playful and you’re wearing that kind of outfit then go to the Santa Monica pier. Or if you’re getting super dressed up and want to be oh so glam find a building or area that reflects that.
– When I picked out my pieces from Hayley Paige I knew I wanted the location to be as glam as my looks. So Bruno and I went to the Pasadena City Hall and got some amazing photos.
This may not even be something that you think about but the time you shoot is very important. If you want those really pretty golden hour photos you either need to shoot when the sun is coming up or when the sun is going down.
– For my shoot the sun was scheduled to set at 5:15 but I had two different looks that I was trying to shoot. So we got there around 3:30 and had plenty of time to do the first look and the second look as the sun was going down.
I am pro and con for props. Sometimes they can be a great addition to the photo and other times they can just get in the way. I would suggest bringing a few and if you don’t use them you don’t use them.
– For my shoot I bought this super cute parasol umbrella and we did use it for a few shots. But at the end of the day I really wanted to have the photos be about Bruno and I so we didn’t use it for to many shots.
It’s always a great idea to show the photographer what style of poses you’re looking for. Maybe you don’t want full body shots and you only want close ups. Or you could hate the kissing type photos and just want to do other fun playful shots. Your photographer won’t know unless you show or tell them so it’s always a good idea to have some photos saved to show him/her.
– Of course I had a ton of inspirational photos saved on my Pinterest. So I definitely showed Savannah the look I was going for. These photos also really helped as I could show Bruno how I wanted the photo to look and how he had to pose.
So you’re finally ready for your engagement shoot and you’ve taken all my advice. But I have one more thing that you must remember to do…and that is to have fun. Be playful with your fiancé and even do some things that you think might look dumb. At the end of the day those were some of the favorite photos that Bruno and I took and looking back at them put a smile on my face.
Photographer: Savannah Sullins
Savanna was honestly the best photographer for our engagement shoot that I could ask for. First off her style is so amazing and I love how our pictures turned out. She really captured that moody/romantic look I was going for with her photography and editing skills. Second she was just super fun and easy to work with that it made the whole experience that much better. She also came up with some great pose ideas and those turned out to be some of my favorite photos. So if you’re looking for an engagement photographer you guys should definitely check out Savannah.
Dress and Romper: Hayley Paige
Could we just take a moment to admire how beautiful Hayley Paige’s designs are. I mean when you think of bridal, engagement or really anything glam Hayley Paige definitely comes to mind. So for me it was a no-brainer to wear her designs for my engagement shoot. The first look I wore was this beautiful embellished purple romper with an iridescent bottom. It made me feel glam but I also loved the playful aspect of it. My second look was this amazing nude dress with black, pink and turquoise embellishments. From the front the dress was already a showstopper but then you turn around and the back detail with the deep V will just take your breath away.